Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Halloween Fun

Halloween is always a fun event at our house. I have rules for the children though.
The children are not allowed to be anything that resembles scary, dead, demonic or negative beings.
For me the holiday is about creativity, togetherness, community and pure innocent fun.
As a family we always choose a theme for Halloween. Since Day one, there has been a theme. Every costume must be a part of the theme. Weird, yeah maybe. But it is effective.
This year took much longer to decide what we would do. We dabbled at ideas for months. I like to have costumes purchased by late August early September to beat the rush. This year we were a bit late due to many outside factors. Finally I gave the kids a deadline to decide, the morning of the deadline the children woke up and were preparing for school but were so excited to share that the night before they had finally decided on a theme. ALICE IN WONDERLAND. Fantastic. Perfect. Easy. I was elated.  So many characters to choose from that I knew I could find the costumes we needed. But this year was different, Daddy would be in town and the kids insisted that Mom and Dad dress up as well. I was a little hesitant but later decided we could pull it off.

The kids choose what they wanted to be but we had to tweak those ideas a bit, which they happily agreed. Daddy had to be persuaded, by a lot. Mommy had to do a few *cough* things to get him on board. Nevertheless, he agreed.

With a few minor set backs we dressed and headed out to trick or treat on base.


.

Here is the result. I think it worked, and funny how the costumes fit personalities as well.
Zeus: Tweedle Dum (original)
Ziggy: Tweedle Dee (original)
Zero: Alice (original)
Omega: Ace of Clubs, who paints the roses red. (original)
Zulu: Mad Hatter (Tim Burton)
Twinkle (Me): Red Queen of Hearts (Tim Burton)
What do you think? We enjoyed it a lot.

1 comments:

Christy Lynn said...

I think you guys look totally fantastic. Every year I love to see what the kids come up with for the Halloween costume theme, I think it's a fantastic idea to have everyone coordinate like that. Bet you got lots of compliments when you were out trick-or-treating!