Thursday, February 10, 2011

Why are we here?

Have you ever asked yourself this question, Why are you here? I know I have multiple times. Like years ago after becoming a stay at home mom. I was soul searching desperately to find an answer to this question. I even bought the book Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. I worked daily to read, study and research the questions and verses left for me in the book. After reading it I thought I knew why I was here. That was a young, underdeveloped answer.

So last night while in my lonely, puppy filled bed I got to thinking about this question again. Prayed about it and went to sleep. Then today while in the shower the funniest thing happened. That silly question came back to me. Ok, Ok, I get it. I am suppose to let everyone know the answer. I know the answer. I figured it out a while back when I was going through some difficult life changes. It hit me like a 90 mph fast ball to the head. BAM!!! Woah I thought. Seriously is that how answers are found or discovered. I guess so.

So after reading some blogs, tweets and facebook posts this week I am sure there is a reason I am writing this. So many people are struggling with this same question. I am with you, all of you. I have been there and I promise it was not an easy journey but one that was worth every mile walked.

So do you wanna know what I discovered. Ok, here you go.

Life, your life, my life are all about relationships and memories. That's it. That's all of it. Relationships and memories. To me, this may be morbid and all but it is how I see it and how the answer got my attention. One day I woke up to a vision of my own funeral. Except It was a TV split into 4 screens, you know that picture in picture thingy. Yeah, it was like Zeus watching 4 games at once. Only, Mine had my funeral in all four pictures except each one was different but they were all happening at the same time. In one box there I was laying in a coffin in a church with my children, remarried ex husband and a minister. No pictures, no friends and no smiling faces.Scary and sad all at the same time. The next box, same scenario with a few people I did not recognize again with a remarried ex husband. This is just depressing.
I was getting sick as I moved my head to see the third box. This time there were a few more people and some flowers. I could recognize a few people in this one but there were still no smiles or even any photos. And nobody seemed to know each other. By the time I got to the fourth box I thought I would hurl. I was shaking, trembling at the thought of another bitter funeral. But this one was different. Very different. The church floor was beautiful green grass. Flowers and pictures filled the stage where I laid, everywhere.It seemed to go on into the horizon, loads of photos of people laughing, eating and creating. In the church pews were hundreds of smiling faces. People hugging each other. Lots and lots of laughter as people reminisced about old times together. My husband was smiling and loving on my children. These people were wearing bright colors and the room was beaming with happiness. It was like a wedding. The people were mingling with everyone else. It was awesome. This immediately changed my view. Yes, this is it. This is what I want. This is why I am here. Its the people and the times I had with those people. From that day, or night, I have always understood that family does not have to be strictly blood relatives. It includes many people you met along your life's journey. So my answer to this difficult answer is simple. I am here to love and care for those around me wherever I am. No color,  nationality, no hairstyle or song choice will exclude you. I want to be the one that you remember being kind, helpful and loving for no other reason than just because.

When I die or come to my last days on earth I want to be surrounded by people telling funny or stupid stories of things we did or said together. Remembering those fun times we had. I do not want cars, money, or jewelry to fill my room. I want the sound of laughter, the vision of glorious smiling faces and I want photos, lots and lots of photos for people to look through and talk to each other about.

Life is not simple. Well, lets just say we do not make life simple. Instead of fighting for your lane on the highway or struggling to have the bigger TV, faster car or bigger house we need to be making sure our friends, neighbors, and co-workers have what they need to get through life. Hugs! Shoulders! fellowship! Company! In the end isn't this what it is all about. Teamwork. Helping each other. Its not about money and all those other worldly things and stuff. Its people and memories.

I have determined this is what life is and means to me. My camera will be my extra brain as it captures all these loving caring moments.

I am here to love you, to care for you, to help you and to remind you that life is fun, special and above all things memorable.

People and Memories
Happy Haskins House

2 comments:

Amy said...

I'm lucky that I have (for years) had a pastor who lays the answer to that question out pretty obviously. Relationship with God, relationships with others and a healthy relationship with yourself. Love. That's what it's all about.

:D You've got it all together woman!

Charisse said...

I have not come around in a while. But I totally agree with you. We are here simply to live. To love. And to laugh. I live my life by that every day.

I DO know that you have been shoulders and hugs for me. And I hope that I have been able to be that in return for you.

Have fun meeting people and making memories, my friend!