Thursday, July 15, 2010

it all gets wierd

So this week is just that, weird. My 3 oldest babies left on Sunday morning headed for Texas. I proceeded to spend the day mostly in tears missing all my little hugs and kisses and silly conversations. I miss my little helpers and all the noise. I do still have my baby here and that has been nice. He is such a cuddle bug. It is super sweet. I also had to spend several hours working on another paper for school. Yes, I am attempting to go back to school.

Monday I slipped in the laundry room trying to turn off the water outside and noticed mold all over the ceiling.


Disgusting but it definitely made Zeus and I very curious. We started checking bathrooms and other rooms in the house looking for anything that might look suspicious. We found a 4 ft by 3 ft spot of ceiling mold in the garage. Then we found bubbling and discoloration of the ceiling in the kitchen. Ridiculous. Now, remember this house is only 6 months old. Brand new construction. I'm thinking the houses built in the 60's and 70's were built much for efficiently.

So yesterday Zeus and I were not getting along at all. I worked so hard to get my homework finished before he got home from school, so we could spend some time together without interruptions.Yea, that did not happen. It was all down hill from there.

Today all the maintenance workers were in and out of the house from 9 am til 2:30pm. More than 6 different people trying to find out why our ceiling was wet, moldy and dripping. After cutting through the wettest spot and buckets of water pouring on the floor, the workers managed to find the reason we have mold in 4 rooms. Zeus and I assumed the bathroom plumbing was leaking but much to our surprised the duct work was condensating causing massive amounts of sitting water. The main cause eluded the workers for a while until the 5th worker arrived, an HVAC contractor that immediately found the problem. When hurriedly building this house the builders managed to forget to enclose the attic allowing a large section open to the heat and cold outdoor temps and air. This hot air when coupled with cold water pipes created condensation which has over time starting rotting wood and destroying sheet rock ceilings. Workers had to cut an attic access in the garage which was suppose to be done when building, and get up in the attic and enclose the open area. Main problem is fixed. We are still left with a hole in the ceiling in the laundry room, brown ceiling spots, moldy ceilings and a duct dripping into my laundry room floor.

Workers are "hoping" that the ceiling and duct will dry by Monday so that all the repair work can be done.

Now doesn't that sound like a lot of fun.

 During the day today I managed to have 4 other children here since a wife of one of Zeus classmates had some medical issues and needed a sitter. I was glad to watch them while I worked on yet another paper. Boy these papers are getting mighty old and I'm only done with 2 1/2 weeks of 3 years. WOW, this is going to really be old by week 100. The kids were very well behaved.

Tell me this, why in the world would you build a house that does not meet any state code or regulations. Why would you expect a poorly built house to last very long. The housing office here on base has a 2 year warranty on all these units but after that they are going to be financially responsible for the costs of all this damage. I should warn them now that they are in for a HUGE surprise. The upkeep on these homes is going to be astronomical. Now, don't get me wrong, I love having such a large home that is comfy and cozy and new but I am so thankful I do not have to pay the mortgage. And so thankful this is not a long assignment.

Overall it has been a very interesting week.

0 comments: