Friday, January 29, 2010

What I wouldn't give

Today I am beginning to feel very sad. Its not the sad that you would think. I mean, I miss my husband but I am not sad for him. I am sad because of what we as a family and what my children have to leave behind when we move in 3 weeks.

When we first got here we were nervous because we heard nothing good coming from our neighbors about D.C. public schools. I was very nervous about moving here the first week of August and only having 2 weeks to research, interview and select a school we felt fit our needs. Being very pregnant this was not going to be easy. Zeus and I pressed on and to our amazement both of school aged children were accepted into a school we thought sounded good.

Fast forward to today. We now have 3 children in this school and will never forget the memories we have made here.

Now, D.C.P.S have a terrible reputation and I am not sure why. We are in a public school on Capitol Hill and I could not be happier. These children have been able to experience history as they learn it.

What I wouldn't give to have been able to read about MLK, JR. and visit the place of his speech, much less perform the speech for hundreds at the very spot he gave it. AMAZING.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/video/2010/01/15/VI2010011502225.html

What I wouldn't give to have my teacher come to my birthday party. Yes, Our teachers attend our birthday parties. Now that is love and commitment.

What I wouldn't give to have been able to go to one of the worlds greatest art museum after learning what art means to us.

What I wouldn't give to have visited Ford's Theatre and the house across the street when learning about President Lincoln.

What I wouldn't give to have been able to walk the halls of the U.S capitol after a government lesson.

What I wouldn't give to have stepped into the White House after learning its history and the history of the Presidency.

What I wouldn't give to have visited world class farms after our animal lessons.

What I wouldn't give to have experienced Inauguration as a child.

What I wouldn't give to have visited Arlington national cemetery EVERY single memorial day.

Life lessons coupled with field trips to engrave them into your mind.

What I wouldn't give to have been able to drive by the U.S. Capitol every.single.day I went to school.

What I wouldn't give to have professional actors come give acting lessons once a week.

What I wouldn't give to have a professional storyteller come tell me stories once a week.

What I wouldn't give to have all sorts of gardens around my school to start, cultivate, write about, eat and learn about.


These are the things that we are going to miss. The list goes on and on. Children going to school with Senators children, federal employees children, children of lost soldiers, Chinese adopted children, poor children, and rich children. I am more than pleased to have experienced the love of teachers, principals and administration.

D.C.P.S may get a bad rap but it is not going to come from me. I will walk away praising the work those people do because they use their hearts. My children are better children today after being a part of a great family here in D.C. I must thank the staff, teachers and administration of the Capitol Hill Cluster school to include Peabody and Watkins elementary schools. Thank you for your kindness, love and patience. Thank you for loving my children and caring for them much like I do. We leave this place with you all in our hearts. We had teachers from Pre-K all the way to fourth grade and everyone of them was incredible. Thank you so much.

This week my son had his last school assembly. I cried. If you know me it takes a lot to make me cry. I was sad because I know at our next place we will not be able to share Americas rich history as clearly and as memorably as we have here. Here he is singing about Rosa parks and Martin Luther King Jr and the civil rights movement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbjLwT60lFk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loIUDuQBdaM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMnmKOt7ssc

What I wouldn't give to make my children's lives the best they can be.

Blessings to all of you and I welcome you back here to read more about The Haskins House on the move.

1 comments:

Amy said...

hope you're getting moved in and comfortable in your new place!