Thursday, June 25, 2009

Part III and final leg

WOW, so the next couple of days were pure bliss. I got up early to disembark at Progreso Cozumel for an excursion to the Mayan Ruins of Chichen-Itza. These ruins I have dreamed of visiting since I was a very young girl. I had a teacher rave about it when in Elementary school and another in high school and from that point on I was determined to go see these famous ruins.


Back to the early part, When I got up I was stunned to realize the sun had not yet risen and super excited to know that I was about to see it rise over the ocean.



This was a sight to behold. Our God really does reward us with beauty. Fantastic!!!


Then I was off the ship in a zippy to get on the bus to the ruins.



I met some neat people on the bus and kinda tagged along with a few to avoid any of the hustlers/hagglers that swarm to you if you look "American". I was in awe of this place. Absolutely amazing to think these people lived 1500 years ago and beat us in so many facets of life.



Later that day we had a Mexican fiesta on the ship since we were in Mexico. They had carved these beautiful watermelons and made these fantastic cakes. WOW, that was really cool. Then we danced on the deck. My Aunt and I got the Electric slide started. It took people for ever to figure out what we were doing though, Geez. But we did it and by the end of the song there was a good 75 people sliding with us.



We docked in Cozumel the next day and a couple of us took an excursion to a local resort to go snorkeling, relax and enjoy the beauty of this place.



We had a blast and totally feel in love with the water and atmosphere of tranquil Cozumel, Mexico. I really want Zeus to go back with me and take some brothers and sisters and in-laws with us. I would love it and I know he would too, plus it is so romantic.


I got Unbelievably sunburned on the backs of my legs from snorkeling so long. Oops, OK I get a terrible sunburn once every summer at least it was not my back this time.


My cousins little boy stepped on a sea urchin and got little spines in his foot, about 10-15 spines. So the crew at the hotel moved quickly to pour vinegar on it to release the pressure and reduce the pain and we had to have a urine donor so that they could pour "pee-pee" on it. It really was funny but glad he was ok.



The next day was another day at sea before making it back to Galveston. We hung out with the kids in the pool most of the day. That was fun but I was burnt so I stayed cover-up and just watched. We ate good and got packed so our luggage could be picked up.



All in all it was a fantastic trip. I want to thank both my Meemaw and my Nana for making this happen for me. I appreciate it so much. I needed a break from the daily grind around here and am most grateful for a once in a lifetime chance.

3 comments:

Charisse said...

I am sooooo happy for you that you got out. And after a difficult month. We all need a little bitty getaway sometimes and yours seems like it was awesome. :-)

I TAGGED you on my blog - check it out - kinda fun :-)

silverhartgirl said...

Wow amazing pics. I love the sunrise. The ruins are amazing. It sounds like you had so much fun

Carla McDougal said...

Thank you so much for leaving a comment on my blog. We are all curious how you are related. My grandmother was one of Dee Lucas' daughters. He was one of the original 18 Lucas children. I was reading in the Lucas Cousin's Cookbook that 3 first cousin's married Smith men who were not related - Lila Adkins Smith, Joy Lucas Smith, and Sue Lucas Smith. It says, "So with their offspring, we have a whole section of Smiths among the Lucas clan." What a blessing to know that God reconnects families of generations together!
From My Heart to Yours,
Carla McDougal