Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Perks.....

Living here in D.C. was not really a choice or place we said "hey lets move there" and we just up and go. NO NO NO, if you are a military family you will understand when I say they tell us when to move and basically where to move. Yeah, you do put your name on a list of places you want to go but honestly I don't think that list is even used. If you know someone that works in assignments in Texas or know someone in that job that can request you by name then the chances of you getting the job you want are much higher. Anyways, I digress. The point is we are here in D.C due to my husbands job, The United States Air Force. Zeus is very proud of the job he does and how he does it. He seems very happy here. Now, with this job we have gotten many perks that "regular" military do not get. This is great for us. The opportunities this place has opened for us are endless, unforgettable and just down right worthy of jealousness. If you are a loyal reader you have read that I have had breakfast on the White House lawn with other military spouses and President Bush, I have watched him speak on several occasions, I have spoke to him, shaken his hand, I have been in the presence of First Lady Laura Bush, Toured the White house during the holiday season while decked out for Christmas, I have received White House Christmas cards yearly, I have gone to an Inaugural Ball, invited to take the kids to the Kids Inaugural concert and then there is Zeus. He too has been with me a FEW of those places but not many. He just recently had his big day. Following the New Year, President Bush made his way around the region extending his thanks to his many troops, colleagues, supporters and staff. Zeus was invited to a meeting with fellow military members to a off the cuff speech and thanking from President Bush himself. This is a great honor for Zeus having worked himself to death this past several years for this man. He was greatly looking forward to the moment that I had previously in May. Excited? Well Zeus is not one to show his excitement for something. But this day, oh boy, this day. He was beaming with joy. Demanding to be there SEVERAL hours early. Of Course I obliged having already had my moment. He did not smile or say anything about being excited but having been married to this guy for 9 years I have learned to read him and READ I did. Really excited!!! The moment that sealed the deal was when he burst through the back door several hours later did not stop to say hi, did not hug me like he normally does. No, he went straight to the living room T.V. Did not stop to pee, did not take off his coat, did not put his keys or hat down, nope bee line for the T.V. Once there he plugged in my trusty camera into the front and set it up and turned to me in the kitchen and said hey babe, come here I want to show you something. I was hesitant trying desperately to come up with some witty comment to snap back with. It never came so I slowly made my way to see what all the fuss was about. He had several photos;Telling me of the details as he scrolled through each picture carefully. I was laughing on the inside and smiling on the outside. To see him this excited was delightful. For me it was special to see him happy. He was talking faster than ever and trying to get ever second of the event explained. I was so happy for him. I just wanted to hug him and tell him to stop talking so FAST. I didn't I let him have his moment. Oh it was a great one. So Zeus was thrilled to have met a sitting President, shaken his hand and speak to him. How cool. So with all the negative that comes with this job there can be so many positives and Perks..................



Blessings

0 comments: