Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Gingerbread Wonderland

You know, I just love Christmas. I love all the beautiful trees, garland, lighted houses and all the fantastic gifts. It always seems like Christmas transforms people. I love it. Every year as far back as I can remember we decorated our house with lights and yard decorations. My aunt and uncle always had an amazing yard. I always was the lead in creating a beautiful setting at our house. Once I got married I began my own ideas for decorating our house. We just started with lights the first year. Each year It has gotten bigger and better.





A few years ago I got the itch to make Gingerbread men for the front yard. So I made the design on cardboard cut it out and transferred it to wood. I painted it and cut it out. NOPE, nobody helped me. My aunt helped me come up with the original design on paper but I did all the rest of the thinking and cutting. I did this all by myself and I even used power tools. I made one for each of us. Bigger ones for the adults and smaller ones for the kids. They are super cute.




This year I wanted to add something to it. I found this magazine that had a Gingerbread house in it and I thought that is what I need to make. But as the days went by I started thinking bigger, I've got it, I will make my house look like the Gingerbread house. That was it!!! Now to the researching and planning. I scoured the Internet for photos of gingerbread houses. I must have looked at thousands real, cartoon, cardboard and just about any kind you can think of. I was a gingerbread maniac. Seriously, obsessed.


I knew I needed gum drops, candy canes, lollipops. The peppermints were a signature to all houses so this element too had to be included. So here is what I came up with.











Last night the kids and I went to the Air Force Base tree lighting. The housing office had put on a yard decoration contest. I read about it vaguely but did not remember when the contest was to be performed. I never do my yard for contests, I do it because my children and I love the way it looks and makes us feel. So last night the housing office gave out 2 awards for yard decorations. I was a nervous wreck. My name was called, "what", yes we won 2nd place for the base decorating contest. WOW, I was super excited. All the hard work was noticed. Thank you so much. I love to win awards for doing the things I love. We were all excited. The kids love to turn on the lights. They actually argue who gets to turn them on first. So sweet!!! Next year is already in my head. Additions and changes to make it better and brighter. What do you think?

Stay tuned for more news from the Haskins.................












4 comments:

Artsy Aut said...

whoa I it looks awesome! I will have to do a drive by. Congrats on second place! The first place must be crazy to have beaten you!

The Carneys said...

You're yard and house look yummy!!! I know what you mean about the lights and decorations, it just gives a special warm feeling!!

Worm's Woman said...

That looks fabulous, and sooooo creative!! I especially love your peppermints!

Christy Lynn said...

I'm surprised you didn't win FIRST place with that decorating job!! We left all our Christmas stuff in storage so not much decorating for us...my mom sent us a Santa cookie jar and I think that'll be all the decorating we do. Your house looks fabulous!