Sunday, October 19, 2008

FROM MOM TO WIFE

Ryan and I normally never get a chance to get out alone without the kids. This is due inpart by the financial strain we are in since we are a enlisted military family of 6 on a single income. This poses a challenge and the other reason is feeling like a burden to our friends by asking them to watch our 4 children. We do have friends but want to keep them for emergency use only. Watching 4 children is definitely not an easy task but can be done. So this weekend we had family in town that were willing and more than happy to watch the kids for us while we got away. It was so nice to go out and feel like a couple instead of Mom and Dad.

So Ryan picked a quaint little Italian restaurant in NW Washington. It is was nice. I probably sound like a kid but walking into it I was in awe. It was something we NEVER get to see. A ritzy little place with low lighting, candles everywhere and awww the crisp white Tablecloths. I felt like a million bucks. WOW, was I really eating here. I am no Senator and definitely not wealthy but this place was all that. We had reservations, so we were seasted within, OH, I would say 30 seconds of walking in the door. That was so cool. I feel special. BTW, we had pulled into a garage to park the car and the man walked up took the keys and said I will take care of you. WHAT? Really, valet parking. I am totally digging this. Now where was I, oh back to the table. So we sit down right next to the window at a little table with beautiful napkins on the square white plates that look like fans. The silverware was all in its fancy places. I must be living in a dream. I am thinking to myself, can we really afford a place like this? Guess we'll see.

The waitress looks very nice and is extremely helpful decoding the menu as most of it is in Italian. Yeah, this stay at home mom does not speak or read anything other than English. Once I decided on something, which took a good 20 minutes, Ryan was very sweet. If you know my husband you know that he is the most sarcastic person on the planet who likes to push all my buttons. He was being so gentlemen like. HUH, did I mistakenly bring his brother with me and leave him at home? I hope not.

So we are brought out this lovely bread with a very light sauce/spread to go on it. OH BOY, this is getting better and better. Then my salad came out. WOW, that is impressive. Gorgeous green lettuce and spinach with cucumbers and tomatoes and a vinaigrette dressing. YUMMMM.
I ate every last leaf. That had to be the best tasting salad I have ever eaten or at least ever remember eating.

The main course comes out. WOO HOOO!!! It is picture perfect. Blackened salmon with a cone shape pile of rice with a pine tree in it. Huge piece of lettuce next to the squash and zucchini. The Salmon has a mint colored sauce drizzled on it and then the whole plate has a maple colored sauce drizzled over it. WOW, I should have taken a picture but I thought I would really stand out if I did. Well, I might look silly. So I follow my inner voice and keep the camera in my purse.

Beautiful meal with my wonderful husband. So he tells me once we are done with dinner that we do not have time for dessert. BUMMER!! But we have reservations to go someplace else. WOAH, he never plans stuff like this yall. Ryan always makes me do the planning if I want to go out. This is a huge treat. So we drive up to Bethesda MD to a movie theater. We go in and tickets were already paid for online. WOW, now that's service. Way to think ahead Ryan. We went in and watched Body of Lies with Leonardo DiCaprio and Russell Crowe. The movie was great and definitely right up Ryan's' alley. It is a CIA movie based all over the world. Very interesting but very good. Once we get up to leave we notice we must be the youngest people in the whole theater. It looks like everyone in there was well over 40 and maybe even 50. Totally different then what I remember from the movies 10 years ago.

So all in all we had a fabulous date night. I felt like he was courting me all over again. That is a big step for a man who has been married 9 years with 4 kids. Baby steps!!! I think he might be coming around after all. Thanks God.

3 comments:

Charisse said...

This sounds like a wonderful night. Every so often our men can surprise us. And when they do, I wish there were words to tell them how they make us feel. :-)

Keyona said...

Hey there, you've been tagged. Go to my blog to see about it.

Charisse said...

Thank you for your sweet words. I know I am not the only one that is away from friends and family. Most days it is fine because I love my daughter and for the most part I like my life here. Some days it is more difficult than others though. I just started a new job after leaving mine this summer. I have taken a HUGE pay cut and while it is enough to pay my bills, it is proving not enough to catch up on what I got behind on. It is a difficult time here in my household. Lorelli makes it easier most days, though. :-)